Thursday, March 21, 2013

Survivor Story #9-Fulfirinox and NanoKnife


This survivor story came to me through a friend of my parents.  He just emailed his story to my Dad today, and gave me permission to post it here.  He also gave me permission to share his email address:    keithane@bellsouth.net
Here is his story:
First of all, let me give you some background ...

I was diagnosed with stage 1 pancreatic cancer on January 29, 2012.  My diagnosis followed a biopsy done on a tumor that showed in the head of my pancreas on CT scans taken in mid-January in conjunction with a hospital stay to resolve deep vein thrombosis issues that resulted in blood clots going to both lungs (pulmonary embolism).  I was scheduled to have Whipple surgery in late-February at the University of Miami, Sylvester Cancer Center.  However, before that could occur, I re-entered the hospital with severe blood clotting in my Vena Cava.  While getting rid of them, further CT scans and MRIs showed 33-plus lesions in my liver ... which were eventually diagnosed as malignant.  At that point, I graduated to stage 4 ... lucky me!!  And, at that point, I was told that I was no longer a candidate for a Whipple Procedure.  

It wasn't until April 2012 that we were able to actually select an oncologist.  We investigated two cancer treatment centers:  MD Anderson (Orlando, FL branch) and UMiami Medical Center, Sylvester Cancer Center.  The chemotherapy recommended by both was identical (details following).  Since the Sylvester Cancer Center was in Miami (close to our home) and the treatment requires a lot of oncologist intervention (appointments), we selected Dr. Caio Rocha Lima (305-243-7770) at Sylvester.

My chemo cocktail is called Fulfirinox.  It is composed of:

1.  Oxaliplatin (side effects: neuropathy, fatigue, nausea, and vomiting)
2.  Leucovorin (Folinic acid)
3.  Irinotecan (diarrhea, myelosuppression)
4.  Fluorouracil (myelosuppression, mucositis, dermatitis, diarrhea)

The first three are infused in a clinic along with Dexamethasone (anti-nausea steroid), Fosaprepitant (long-acting anti-nausea) and Palonsetron (long-acting anti-nausea) plus potassium and magnesium.  This takes about 10 hours.  Then they connect me to a small portable pump and infuse the Fluorouacil into me over the next 46 hours (at home).  After the pump has been disconnected for 24 hours, I then receive a Neulasta injection which restores white blood cells.

I received 12 of these clinical chemo sessions.  Then the neuropathy caused by the Oxaliplatin got so bad (loss of feeling in feet and hands) that they extracted that from the cocktail ... and I received another 4 sessions with just the remaining three medicines ... which reduced the clinical treatment to 8 hours each.

God has blessed me to be able to tolerate these treatments with minimal side effects.  I experienced neuropathy, energy loss, and minor diarrhea.  I countered the energy loss by a special diet and exercise (trying to walk 3 miles daily ... not always possible to go the full 3 miles but did what I could).  And .... my hair turned white and became very thin and sparse.  Never lost my hair ( yippee! ).

At the beginning, the pancreas tumor measured about 2.5 x 2.3 cm.  And the liver lesions were small but numerous (33-plus).  A CT scan after 7 sessions showed a 50 percent reduction in tumor size and no evidence of the liver lesions.  A CT scan after 14 sessions showed a further reduction in tumor size to about 0.5 x 0.5 cm.  

At that time, my oncologist recommended me for a NanoKnife Procedure (Google it ... there are some great videos that explain it).  Basically, it's a non-invasive procedure by which surgeons insert wires through the abdominal area below my rib cage and directly into the pancreas ... surrounding the tumor, and then they shoot 3000 volts of DC electricity between the wires and the tumor is electrocuted.  I received this procedure on 12/12/12.  Subsequent CT and PET scans have indicated no tumors or lesions in any organ!   

In retrospect, having the NanoKnife Procedure is super better than the Whipple.  I am very fortunate to be connected with UMiami, who basically pioneered this procedure for pancreatic tumor treatment in the USA.  I was pancreatic cancer patient No. 30 to receive it.

So that's the "short version" of my medical journey during 2012!

My other treatment ingredients have been:

1.  Surround yourself with a positive family/friends support group ... don't be afraid to share your "story" with them and seek their prayer and moral support.

2.  Be positive ... mind over body IS possible.

3.  Turn over your medical situation to God.  He answers prayers ... so be very careful what you ask for!

What else can I share with you?  Let me know ...

You both are now in my prayers!

Be strong, be possible, be healthy (as possible).


Keith

6 comments:

  1. My father was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, had tail of pancreas removed with a huge tumor. Tumor came back after a month with mets to liver and lungs. He just started on GEMOX. Hoping to be as successful as you. Thank you so much for your story. Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my father have got pancreatic cancer head mass measuring 35 39 ,MPD dilate 9.2 is any hope for treatment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keith! If you are still in the Miami area, please contact me. My brother was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I couls sure use someone to talk to. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your story i will have nanoknife in 9 days dr salti at Edwards Naperville in illinois have stage 3 PC in tail praying for you all
    Please do the same for me i will never give up

    ReplyDelete








  5. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346
























    hindi ako makapaniwala na kailanman ay muling makiisa ako sa aking kasintahan, labis akong na-trauma sa pananatiling nag-iisa na walang katawan na manatili sa akin at makakasama ko, ngunit napakasuwerte ako sa isang tiyak na araw upang matugunan ito malakas na spell caster na si Dr Akhere, matapos sabihin sa kanya ang tungkol sa aking sitwasyon ginawa niya ang lahat ng makataong posible upang makita na ang aking kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin, sa katunayan matapos na ihagis ang spell ang aking dating kasintahan ay bumalik sa akin ng mas mababa sa 48 oras, dumating ang dating kasintahan ko. bumalik sa pagmamakaawa sa akin na hindi na niya ako pababayaan, 3 buwan mamaya kami ay nakipag-ugnay at nag-asawa, kung nagkakaroon ka ng parehong sitwasyong ito makipag-ugnay lamang kay Dr Akhere sa kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com maraming salamat sa sir sa pagpapanumbalik ng aking dating kasintahan bumalik sa akin, ang kanyang email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com o tumawag / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete